Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Okay, so I haven't ended up filling the pages like I suggested, but I'm working on it. It's all about the process, dude.

Today there was the most amazing light as I was leaving work; warm late-day light filtered through heavy clouds. It felt apocalyptic; no shadows, but much yellower than normal overcast light.

Dramatic lighting makes my life feel more interesting than it is, like when just the right song comes on the radio. The kind of light we had, I half expected to stop in the middle of the street for my close up. As though they needed to film a reaction shot for something dramatic happening off camera, like an alien invasion, or the return of my arch-nemesis, or something. If I feel like I'm in a movie, then I can pretend that there's some purpose to my life; or that I can expect some plot or character development, at least. Lots of fun, but when I tell people I really like the light it they're usually pretty non-commital. Don't other poeple have emotional reactions to light/weather/atmosphere?

In other news, what do you do when your friends are really into something that you'd rather not participate in? Especially if it has become a major focus of your friendship? I used to be game, but I'm less and less inclined to join in anymore.

No comments: